Makes 1 litre. Just double the ingredients to make 2 litres.
Things you need
- 3 teaspoons loose leaf green tea
- 1/3 cup of honey
- ½ to 1 cup of starter liquid (solution from previous batch of Jun)
- A Jun SCOBY
- Large 1.5 – 2 L jar with wide mouth, sterilised with hot water
- Rubber band or string
- Make sweetened green tea with Green tea in 4 cups of boiling water. Steep for 5 minutes or until cool and then dissolve the honey.
- Wait for sweetened tea to cool to room temperature and strain into a large jar.
- Add starter liquid and Jun SCOBY to the jar with the sweetened tea.
- Place a clean cloth or paper towel over mouth of the jar and secure with rubber band or string.
- Leave the Jar undisturbed for 3 – 7 days at room temperature (taste after day 3). Ideal range is 16 – 19°C
- Carefully remove the SCOBYs and ½ a cup of Jun tea from the top of the jar and reserve for your next batch of Jun. You will now have 2 SCOBYs but its best only use the newly formed
- one for the next batch. You can use this one to experiment with flavours or store in a SCOBY hotel as back up.
- Pour the remaining Jun tea into glass bottles, seal tightly and allow to second ferment for 2 – 3 days and then transfer to the fridge. Your Jun tea is now ready to drink.