I have had quite a few people ask me about the course that I am currently studying so I wanted to share it with you all.
The course is delivered by the Institute of Integrative Nutrition (IIN) and is a 1 year program to be a Health Coach.
“A Health Coach is a mentor who works with clients to achieve their wellness goals. By addressing all the facets of health in addition to eating – relationships, exercise, career, and spirituality – Health Coaches help people become healthier and happier in all areas of their lives.”
To me this means that I will be able to help others get healthy and celebrate their health successes with them. Seriously this is my dream job 🙂 and I’m so excited for what the future holds.
I am nearly half way through the course and have been absolutely loving it. There are so many things to love about it some of which are
- The wide range of dietary theories that are covered. I’m talking 150 different theories. While some of the ‘diets’ are far from what I follow (aka the peanut butter diet – yes that’s a real diet), it has helped me understand that one dietary approach doesn’t suit everyone.
- The support: even though the course is all online and the HQ is in New York, I have never once felt like I was doing this alone. The staff at IIN have helped me with any query I have had and there is a very large active group of current and past students on IIN Facebook groups that share the same interest in health as myself.
- Trying it all out. With so much wonderful advise, it has been exciting trying out many of the dietary and lifestyle suggestion in my own life. Its like a mini experiment, seeing what does and doesn’t work for me.
- I get to experience health coaching as a client. We get to team up with other students and practice coaching. I’ll admit I was a bit nervous about the practical side of the profession to start with but am now loving coaching and being coached. Being coached has helped me overcome some of my own health struggles and experience the benefits and support that coaching offers.
- There is more to living a healthy life then diet alone. Much more in fact, and IIN is great in the sense that they don’t limit the information to just nutrition as many courses do, but they emphasise the importance of career, spirituality, physical activity and relationships.
- The business set up. It’s one thing to have great health coaching skills but you also need to know how to use those skills for your own business. IIN covers in detail how to attract clients, manage finances and run a successful health coaching business. They also provide you with the resources to set up your own website, logo and business cards.
- Flexible learning. The course is delivered online and I have found it really easy to fit study into my schedule. You can download an app and watch/listen to all your lectures from that and view slideshow notes. There are 40 modules and they release one module a week so it’s not over whelming. The content can take as little as 3 – 5 hours a week to complete or up to 10 if you choose to do more in depth study.
- I get to chat about once a fortnight with other IIN students that are based in Australia through Coaching Calls (only 6 are compulsory). These are run by past IIN students that run successful health coaching businesses.
- That the Alumni line up is pretty impressive. Pete Evans, Sarah Wilson and Jessica Ainscough are some of many past IIN students that are super influential in Australia at the moment.
As a current student I get to offer anyone that I refer to IIN a huge discount off the tuition cost so if you do want to sign up be sure to mention my name Sarana Renzella so that you don’t miss out on a great saving.
If you have any questions about the course, feel free to ask away in the comments below. I will try and answer the best I can otherwise I can refer your question to the staff at IIN. Alternatively if you want to learn more feel free to download a free guidebook or try out a class for free at the links below.