After dinner last night, I was so excited to share my dinner with you all (the recipe that is because I kept the leftovers to myself). The recipe is adapted from one that I had been excited to try for some time because I love love love zucchini. The original recipe is from Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals and is Mark Sisson’s take on a traditional carbonara minus the pasta and cheese. I made this alongside a bought carbonara mix and pasta because my husband claims he doesn’t like zucchini. However when it came to him trying them both the comment from my pizza/pasta/bread loving Italian hubby was “the bought carbonara doesn’t rate (aka no good) but the zucchini carbonara is quite good”.
As the book promises this meal was quick and easy, the ingredients can be prepared in advance and just thrown together last minutes to have a meal on the table within 10 minutes.
4 zucchinis, sliced into thin strips using a vegetable peeler
4 slices short cut bacon, diced
½ cup sliced mushrooms
2 Egg yolks
¼ cup coconut milk (or heavy cream if you prefer and can tolerate dairy)
½ tsp pepper
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking
- Combine coconut milk, egg yolks & pepper in a bowl (or jar as I have done).
- Heat a fry pan and sauté the bacon & mushrooms in a little oil on medium heat.
- Simultaneously to save time, heat another fry pan and sauté the zucchini strips in a little oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Alternatively you can wait until the bacon and mushrooms are cooked and just use that fry pan. You may need to sauté the zucchini in 2 batches depending on how big your fry pan is.
- When the bacon and mushrooms are cooked, remove from heat and set aside
- When zucchini is cooked, pour the coconut milk & egg mixture over zucchini, add the cooked bacon & mushrooms and stir through allowing the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Remove from heat, serve (can sprinkle with cheese if you tolerate dairy) and enjoy. If you have any leftovers you can store in the fridge and enjoy cold or heated up the following day.